If you are visiting Inverness and wonder what the town would have looked like in Jamie’s time then read this blog post. Inverness has changed dramatically since the 18th century but some of the buildings from Jamie’s time still stands in Inverness and I have included some of them here.
The first building is Abertarff House which is located on Church Street. This is the oldest surviving house in Inverness and was built in 1593. It was occupied by the Frasers of Lovat until the mid-nineteenth century. It was restored by the National Trust for Scotland in 1966.
Dunbar Hospital on Church Street was built in 1668 and was named after Provost Alexander Dunbar who gave it to Inverness as a hospital for the poor. It had various uses during it’s time, one being as a school, but it returned to being used as a hospital during a Cholera Epidemic in 1849. It now houses shops and flats.
Bow Court on Church Street was built between 1722 and 1729. The only original archway is the centre one. The others were added later to house shops. It was a U-shaped building with a courtyard at the rear of the building.
The Old High Church
The lower part of the Old High Church tower situated on Church Street dates from the 15th century and the top half from the 17th century. The church was rebuilt in 1770. Behind the church is the Robertson of Inshes Mausoleum which was built in 1660 and shows elaborate Jacobean workmanship. During the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745-46 Jacobites were held in the church after the Battle of Culloden then executed in the graveyard. The Government Troops used two stones which were nine paces apart. The prisoner sat or stood/knelt behind one stone while the musket was placed in the grove of the other stone.
The Old Gaelic Church/Leakey’s Bookshop
Balnain House, on the banks of the River Ness, was built in the 1720s and restyled in the 1790s as a Georgian Town House. It was used as a hospital for the Government Troops after the Battle of Culloden. It is now the Regional Headquarters of the National Trust of Scotland.
Douglas Row is a row of houses dating from the late 18th century.